- This event has passed.
The Roma & Sam Kaltman Holocaust Studies for Educators 2020
July 6, 2020 - August 7, 2020
The Roma & Sam Kaltman Holocaust Studies for Educators
The 2020 Roma & Sam Kaltman Holocaust Studies for Educators is now Virtual.
Roma and Sam Kaltman never shied away from a challenge and neither do we; that is why we decided to move the Roma & Sam Kaltman Holocaust Studies for Educators (HSE) to a digital format.
Beginning on July 6, Holocaust Studies for Educators will proceed over 5 weeks online, featuring leading experts in the field of Holocaust Studies, testimony of local Holocaust survivors, and discussion about best teaching practices for Holocaust education.
All of the content and interaction you would have received in person is available in an online format. There will be live sessions on Mondays and Wednesdays with presenters and breakouts. Zoom interaction will be limited to 4.5 hours a week and recorded for those of you who cannot make the live sessions. On Wednesdays, there will be Holocaust survivors or their family members speaking live and taking your questions.
- Doris Bergen, author of War & Genocide: A Concise History of the Holocaust
- Peter Hayes, author of Why? Explaining the Holocaust
- Michael Dobbs, author and winner of a 2019 National Jewish Book Award for The Unwanted: America, Auschwitz, and a Village Caught in Between
- David M. Crane, founding Chief Prosecutor of the Special Court for Sierra Leone and editor of The Founders: Four Pioneering Individuals Who Launched the First Modern-Era International Criminal Tribunals
The training is designed for secondary educators currently teaching in the classroom. Registration is required.
View the educator schedule here.
- Registered participants who are currently teaching in the classroom will receive a copy of Doris Bergen’s War & Genocide: A Concise History of the Holocaust and 2 tickets to the Museum to use when we reopen.
- 40 contact hours are available.
- Cost for the training is $100.
DOCENTS AND INTERPRETERS
We welcome docents and interpreters from Holocaust Museums to join us for special training in combination with the teacher training. Special breakouts and discussion sessions are created specifically for docents and interpreters to apply what they learn in a museum setting.
Docents will also receive a copy of Doris Bergen’s book, War & Genocide: A Concise History of the Holocaust.
Cost is $50.00 and registration is required.
Now open to the public!
A Roma & Sam Kaltman Holocaust Studies for Educators Scholar Pass is available for $65.00.
The pass is designed for HSE alumni or members of the public who would like to attend the scholarly lectures. Contact hours are available for sessions attended. Registration required.
Questions or looking for more information? Please contact Jodi Elowitz, Director of Education & Engagement at [email protected].
The Roma & Sam Kaltman Holocaust Studies for Educators is generously supported by the Claims Conference.